About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

CNY

%Like every Chinese New Year, we have a reunion. With family. I'm telling you, listening to my uncle trying to make conversation with me earlier was really refreshing. It has been a while since I tried to not make eye contact. Pretty soon after we came round to a joke where there is a mirror and if you wish into it you get what you want and at the end this guy wishes his dingdong to touch the floor and and in the variation I've heard, his legs drop off, which is the punchline itself but in my uncle's version, the mirror was one of those circus/carnival mirrors that altered the reality of how jokes were told or something.

And my grandfather, whom I love and respect, sometimes just remembers things out of the blue and start off a conversation piece with what is on his mind and you have to race up to him (which isn't too hard, just that you've forgotten what happened a decade ago). Would 'decadent' be the correct word? I wouldn't think so either.

Red packets and gambling aren't as paramount as it was a year or so ago. At least last year you tried to make the best of it by gambling and spending it with friends. These days it just feels better surrounding yourself with as many family members as you can and hoping for lots of idle time.

However, I did get to watch 'closer' today. And it was good. I believe the main part of the movie lied in the betrayal of trust and the way we go about the issue of trust in a relationship, which, of course, for some reason, seems to interest me a lot. I seem to be obsessed with it. Its not the pleasure of it, just the issues surrounding adultery and affairs. The movie lends a perspective that makes it so common (maybe because it is). Though I myself, have never had the displeasure.

Perhaps I have an obsession with guilt and the want for it. Back to Chinese New Year (to not move away from the topic), I was playing with fireworks with my little cousins that I love so much. Felt almost pulled back to a time long gone. Particularly when I chased little Shanice around with those pop-pop crackers. Or rather she was chasing me with sparklers. For an instant, it felt like I was 20 again. Hehe.


The scene of children enjoying their youth only reminds me of the childhood that I have taken for granted. Though I try reliving it, it only makes me seem out of place. I can only try. Youth; a time when no mistakes appear to stand out. Or at least to me.

I'm bored to write about anything else. I'm forced to continue this tomorrow or the day after.