About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Thursday, July 07, 2005

 

The Mothman Prophecies

Two nights ago, while I was doing work on my computer, I heard a loud continous flapping noise outside my window. Startled, I turned to look, and right outside my window a poor, helpless moth was being attacked by a lizard. The moth was pretty big, but I guess that didn't stop the lizard. Well, I suppose I should mention that moths happen to gross me out, but at the same time I felt pity towards the poor creature. What was I to do? I could either leave nature to take its course, or help the poor guy out, no matter how icky I felt moths were.

So I ended up sitting on my chair, staring at the poor moth beating its wings on the mosquito net that covers my window for 5 minutes wondering what to do. To help? Not to help? To help? Not to help?

Then this question popped into my head: What if those Chinese legends are true, and that's one of my ancestors that have come to visit me?

I wish I could say that that thought jolted me into action, but sadly it didn't. After about 2-3 more minutes of watching the poor helpless moth I finally decided to go help. I shook the net for awhile and the lizard went away. The moth just sort of flopped down onto a windowpane, looking all lifeless.

Oh great, I thought. Now I have to get rid of its corpse. Ewww.

I went to the window and tried to adjust the windowpane so it would fall off it or something. But surprise, surprise! The moth actually moved a bit. So it wasn't dead after all.

I stared at the moth for awhile again, making sure that it really wasn't going to drop dead on me, while wondering, "Grandad? Is that you?". I left to go downstairs to get myself a drink, and later when I had come back up, the moth was gone.


Comments:
It COULD be your ancestors back to visit you. I have to tell you that I had experienced these moth visits too many times at the correct time to not believe. Like, during the time I got into an accident, that very night, a moth was right in front of the alter in my house. During festivals like Mooncake festival, Dumpling festival, the last day of the Hungry Ghost festival and maybe also on Cheng Beng I've noticed that there will always be a big moth somewhere in the house.
Kinda freaky. But, oh well.. it's just a visit. :)

-Hwa-
 
Hey Yi Hwa! Erm, FYI, it's Boon Ying here ;) Got suckered by this guy here to guest blog :p
 
Hey Boon Ying, I was told by Yews just not too long ago. Felt cheated.. Hehehe.. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home