About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Friday, July 29, 2005

 

Not So Brief Review: Lords of Dogtown.

Based upon a true story, the movie tells the story of the infamous Z-Boys (Zephyr), a skating team in the 1970s. I found it to resemble a sort of tribute and tell-all story. As I don't know the actual story, or in-depth story of the Z-Boys, I cannot say if it is accurate in depiction or otherwise.

The movie starts from when they were surfers, then street menace to society, to professional contest winners. The characters at first--more or less--look alike. Sporting surferboy-school-dropout looks and demeanor, they slowly evolve and change in the span of two or so hours. The movie softly highlights that they came from different backgrounds and had their own different personalities and agendas for each individual. All affected by different traditions and ways of life brought together by one passion; one dream!

Their rise to fame, showed by the success of each skater, and the way that they reacted to the rising of popularity, and the conflicts faced with each other and the public. Centered on the skaters themselves, the movie--supposedly--details the reasons and underlying struggle(s) from every angle of the Z-team.

Actors: This was one side of Heath Ledger's acting that I've not seen before. He looked and sounded like John Malkovich, and I couldn't recognise him with his hair down, which I think is my fault entirely. Johnny Knoxville and Tony Hawk make an appearance; I hope that's not a spoiler. Other details might actually spoil it for you.

I went into this movie expecting that it was going to be pretty good. Throughout the movie, I wasn't at all disappointed by the redundant scenes, if there were any; I couldn't find much fault with the movie, but maybe that's because I just like watching skateboarding. I sort of thought it was going to be a documentary-ish movie about the history of skateboarding and how it came to be, and even that was acceptable for me.

Bottomline: Go watch it! Definitely! Especially if you were ever curious about the whole skateboarding era.