About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Thursday, July 28, 2005

 

When She Loved Me

One day in college one of my lecturers got angry at my class. There was a miscommunication between him and a student that disrupted our studies, and he was furious. He shouted at us so loudly that the classes adjoining ours could hear every single word. All throughout the abusive lecture we sat fuming in silence, tuning it out while he ranted and raved in front of the class, save one girl. She burst into tears and yelled back at him for saying things that she felt were inappropriate.

"How can you call us stupid?" she sobbed. "Just because we all made a mistake doesn't mean we're stupid! How dare you call us stupid? No one has ever called me stupid before in my entire life!"

The cynic in me laughed at that statement. Yet deeper within me, I wondered - how nice would it be to grow up in a world where the people who demean you weren't the people who were supposed to love you the most?