About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

 

Work lost me.

An alarm clock goes off: he doesn't realise that the constant beeping is the sound of one radio clock screaming. 6:46 A.M. He goes back to sleep. Another goes off at 7:00 A.M. This time: he wakes up immediately; doesn't want to be late. He is no longer third party but is now me. This is where I come into place instead of the sleeper.

I thought it necessary to brush my teeth, though that hasn't really been a habit these passed few weeks. Might as well shave while I'm at it. Nine hours work for RM50 seems hardly worth it. I thought I was brushing my teeth... Washes face, wore my clothes from the interview on the previous day.
Nine hours work for RM50 seems hardly worth it.

7:20ish: Time to call Chiew Wai to inform him that I'm awake, and to also wake him up in case he isn't. My hand moves for the phone when, at that very moment, it rang. It's Chiew Wai.

Me: Hola, como estas usted mi amor?
Chiew Wai: Si, amigo. Le migra is after me (kidding)

Kidding, side-tracked mind.

Me: Hello!
Chiew Wai: Eh! I don't think I'm going.
Me: What? Why?
Chiew Wai: Couldn't sleep till 5 A.M.
Me: Me, too.
Chiew Wai: Was considering the RM50 and it seems hardly worth it.

Shorter long story: He didn't want to go and wasn't going.

We agree that we have to call the interviewerman to let him know of our absence. We, then, made plans to eat breakfast about 40 minutes later. Till this moment, he has yet to call me. The post is dated on the 6th, but I didn't complete it that day--it is now 3 P.M. on the 7th.

8:20ish: I nearly forgot to call the interviewerman. Must be responsible; can't leave people waiting for you. AND because he had my number and was bound to call, otherwise I'd chosen the other way. I call him.

I chose the honest-appreciate approach.

Me: Hello, Mr. T (I'm actually omitting his name and not adding humour, I pity the fool), This is Chan Yew Seng from yesterday.
Him: Ah, Chan, where are you?
Me: I'm at home. I'm calling regarding today. I won't be able to make it...
Him (cutting me off): So, you don't want to do the job?
Me: No (it should be a yes), actually, I don't.
Him: What is your reason?
Me: I feel that I can get a better job, to be honest. The RM50 a day won't do... I hope you can appreciate me being direct and straight.
Him: Ok. Ok... (goes on about the pay)
Me: Yes. Ok. Thank You. Click.

Fortuitously fortunate was when a lady called and informed me to send her my resume because she has a few positions and needed to see my qualifications. I had not a real resume; just the one I'd printed from jobstreet. Time to get cracking. I have yet to send it to her. She called later when I deviated and went to watch TV. I shamefully opened my door and pretended as if I wasn't home.

I cannot believe I did something so ridiculous. For your comfort in knowing that I'm not such a dilly-dally-er, I'm currently working on it as you read. No, this is not my resume. It's a hot day! I'm looking outside. I don't want to write anymore.