About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Thursday, July 21, 2005

 

"You just have to lie!"

Introduction to entry: I went for an interview again at [...] recently, but this time I was applying for a different position; Customer Support Analyst, which is a better way of saying help-desk drone, or so I am feeble enough to think. I'm stealing a format of speaking from a movie or something, but what I say still applies.

I got passed over (kept-in-view-ed) and I felt that the reason I was passed over was slightly offensive (as though they were trying to say something else), however, I accepted it as what people do, and that it is the way things went on--and it is--hopefully "was". However, I don't know what it was that made said reason.


Did I make the effort to go there just so you could tell me that I might not be interested, or that you as an interviewer have profound insight as to what I--most possibly--would be doing (breach a contract) in the future? I'll try to be overly enthusiastic the next time, if that helps. "Try" being the operative word.

Conversation with Recruit-lady: She beats around the bush a little, then after getting tired of going round the bush, she tells me about being passed over. She then proceeded with a discourse (again) on how SAP/ERP needs at least a year's experience. I liked how she attributed (without having to say anything) that to: me not getting the job; otherwise, I don't think she would have mentioned that. Again, I'm having not much of a grasp on what she's trying to say.

This is the point whereby I get confused. I cannot understand your hints (subtle or not) if you are not direct with what you're saying. I can appreciate your effort(s) for assisting my job search. Then again you are earning commission from me.


My friends tell me, "You just have to lie!" several times. I don't doubt that doing that would get me a position, but I don't understand why I have to lie. After you get in, only then do you worry about your lies (heh heh). I don't know if it's within me to do that.


Sample of lie:
"Good evening! My aspirations are to be whatever you're offering, albeit entry level or exit level, so as long as I get a help-desk job, I will aspire to be a help-desk executive." How do you lie about it exactly that doesn't make you out to be a liar?


Furthermore, what is really funny about it was when one person said "you have to lie!", another joined in with the same sentiments, and then another. The very next night, we spoke again; this time one person said "it's one year y'know?!", and another said it. I looked over to the last person and waited for him--expectantly--to say it. Surprised I was that he didn't repeat the exact words. I found this very amusing (not in a bad way).


Summary of my words and conclusion
: I can understand that it's an acceptable reason for not hiring me, for I don't know if I'm going to leave and breach said contract that I have yet to look at, and honestly, neither do you. I understand that you are working on a gut feeling. You are thinking on behalf of the welfare of your organisation and its employees; granted!
And about the case of "You just have to lie!", I'd much rather sell myself than to lie. Perhaps there isn't a line in between in these types of scenarios. I won't argue with you. At least not that much. I promise you that this will be the last time you either read, or hear about this.

Coincidence: Abbreviate "Customer Support Analyst."