About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Friday, August 05, 2005

 

The darkly humourous story of Siew Lan

When I was in Form 1, I wrote a short love story, spanning two to three exercise book pages. It was about a girl named Siew Lan (or so I think, I no longer really remember), whose love was spurned and met a tragic end.

The story began with Siew Lan meeting her dream guy in school and instantly falling in love with him. But the guy did not love her, and she spent many a day brooding over why it was so. Until one day, that is, when she found the arms of the guy she loved wrapped around her best friend.

Feeling extremely hurt, Siew Lan confronted both of them and asked why they did what they did. Both were rather uncomfortable with her question and did not answer. Siew Lan could do nothing but walk away.

The next day in school, Siew Lan came with a knife hidden in her uniform. She confronted the guy she loved and her best friend again during recess. She yelled loudly at him and pushed him around a bit, creating a scene for everyone to notice. Then at an opportunite time, she took out the knife, placed it in his hands, screamed and pretended to struggle with him for awhile before finally guiding his hands to plunge the knife deep into her, thus framing him for her death.

Why is this story funny? Well, if it isn't obvious to you yet, here's why: it stars a girl with the one of the most typical Chinese names ever, the triangle love story has been done to death, and the death scene is so ridiculous it is hillarious. I suppose it also helps that the entire story was written in basic classroom Malay, which lends it a somewhat stiff and formal feel, without the use of any fancy Malay words whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong though, I very intentionally wrote it that way (yes, my storytelling skills aren't THAT bad that I have to cover it up as a joke. Why would I even bother mentioning it here then?). Of course, now that I am thinking back about it, I think it reflected on my state of mind at that time. I was depressed for most of the time in secondary school. When I look back at that story now, I realized that I wrote the story when I was frustrated at the people who were supposed to be my best friends for no longer being the friends I thought they were. Why were they enjoying themselves while I was suffering here feeling like I didn't belong where I was? Where were they when I needed them to listen and cheer me up? I felt like I was betrayed, and I guess it manifested itself into this story, where perhaps I felt that I could take revenge, even at the cost of my own life. Hey, not like I felt that my life was worth much at that point.

Of course, now that I'm more-or-less grown up and better well-adjusted emotionally, I can look back at this rather amusing tragic story and laugh my ass off because I can't believe I wrote something so silly when I was thirteen. In Malay too, no less.


Comments:
Fine. I know you wrote that story about me.:P You hate me I know it!

COME HANG WITH ME TONIGHT BOON DONG DONG!!!!!!!

UTERUS UNITE!
 
Yes, I hate you :p

Umm, you know, Uterus Unite does sound very wrong in a very different way....:D

And no, I am not free tonight :(
 
Post a Comment



<< Home