About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Saturday, August 20, 2005

 

Legacy

Through the behavior of my grandmother, whom I live with, I've come to see that there are certain traits that are inherent with my own mother.

The one most striking similarity is that both my grandmother and mother will almost definitely say something to you as you're leaving the room/house.

I don't know why they feel the need to prolong conversation to such an extent as this. You would have closed the door and walked 5 feet till one of them shouts--but at the distance you are at only resemble mumbling--something here or something there; this and that.

I feel that it is the most annoying thing in the history of the upbringing of this family. The only time when you say "bye," and another subject is brought up.

And "No" to anyone who might even think that this is a recent addition to their personality. It traces back pretty far; so far that I may even trace childhood memories through this memory of the inherent habit which beset them/us/whomever.

One thing that I do not see in my mother, but which I get from my grandmother is that my grandmother will continue talking as you're watching TV. She would toss you the remote and insist that you watch something. She then waits for you to find something you'll just enjoy watching, and 5 minutes into the movie she will ask you something and pursue an inquisition, which usually lasts for quite a while.

It's not that I don't wish to speak to my grandmother. I'm not some bastard of A... Bastard. What I'm curious over is why she would insist you pay attention to something else, and only then start talking. Wouldn't you want my most undivided attention?

Have you ever heard or read the saying, "My father's/mother's son?" I've never quite understood that. I only venture assumptions that it means my father/mother raised me, and I'm more like them than anything. Therein lies most of the truth: Everyone is a shoddy walking copy of their guardians.

I know it's a little out of the subject I am putting down at the moment, but if you are a bad-terrible driver/person, perhaps you should trace back which qualities your guardian/father/mother may have passed down to you by giving you repeated impressions that what you're doing is right.

So, the next time you feel that you may have acted unjustly or did something out of line, remind yourself that you do not need to do things the way your father taught you. And if you chose to do the "wrong" things, then your child will most likely end up an asshole like yourself. Raise your kids right so that they don't get the beating of their lives by outsiders.

Every now and again I'll say something that really only matches what my father would have said; I realise this after, of course. The fact is that it would be most difficult to turn away from your upbringing, even though you're making an actively conscious effort in doing so.


Comments:
You talk too much. But what you sayeth is the truth. I become more like my mum everyday. *changes all the flaws she'd never admit to having*
 
Lol that is so true! Makes you embarassed to be yourself sometimes. I did realize some time back that I might end up being my mom in the situation I am currently in (not telling anyone what it is! :p), and realising what my mom had to put up all with all these years really made me want to break down and cry, say sorry and whatnot. But since I grew up in a traditional Chinese family that never shows their emotion, I guess that's not going to happen anytime soon. I suppose I'll just do the Chinese thing and try to be nicer to her, I guess. Sigh...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home