About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

My Norm: Disrupted Sleep!

Close to a three-hour nap, my grandmother decides to barge into my room and wake me up regarding a RM2,000.00 payment to some movers, and makes a call and expects me to know everything about what she's talking about it through the prior three-minute elaboration (while I'm asleep).

She sits on my bed, pulls out the phone and expected me to speak to my aunt on a subject unknown to me 3 minutes ago, and funnier still in my condition; dazed, confused, and the freshly woken.

After I'm done, she decides that it is a wise choice to dick around with me with a voice that grows louder each interval of speech. Yes, I get it. And No! I believe I have the account number details correct, and I assure you that I won't mistake my 9 for a 7, which might lead me into more trouble. She doesn't believe me after writing it down twice.

How did I convince her? I took a big envelope, wrote the account number there instead. I believe she is still adamant about me getting it wrong and thrusting us into one big banking scandal, which may result in myself sent to jail or prison, or worse: Beaten up by cops or something.

"Why was she still sitting on my bed?" you ask? She did that to indicate to me--while talking really loudly--that I am going to handle this now. There isn't any other option because she won't even let me sleep for a moment longer.

I assure her by saying, "definitely" or "absolutely," in Cantonese (Yat Teng) repeatedly while gesturing my nod towards the large envelope.

At least I got more than 2 hours of sleep. That's not really a bright side. At least it doesn't look as hazy as yesterday.