About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Sunday, August 07, 2005

 

Sunrise Jazz Festival: Mr. Gambus!

Farid Ali/Mr. Gambus' intro was excellent! Followed by so many nice upbeat tunes. The saxophonist and the keyboardist was excellent! The eclectic mix of the band playing tonight was superb. Personally, I prefered the saxophones (Julian Chan), Mr. Gambus (Farid Ali), and the Keyboardist. I didn't really get to sit for the drumming solo at the end, but what I heard was pretty good. I suspect that he was better last week with his actual band.

We waited for a long time before the others arrived. We ended up saving them seats and reducing ourselves to morons for believing her crap lies. Again. My tolerance always leads me to being the subject of massive ridicule, by myself. Lest I be taken advantage of all the time. Jack ass EV!!

Hung out and had beer with Lina and Craig of Borneo Ink and their crew, who are also acquainted with the musicians on stage this night.

It's a small world of musicians; drummers know drummers as proved by Rasta Justin knowing the drummer John, the drummer with Mr. Gambus. And Leonard knowing the background of the entire band playing that night. There was a violinist (I forgot her name, sorry) who was playing for Akademi Fantasia this night; they were ridiculing her for that, too.

So much beer left; bottles kept on piling in as people who didn't finish their beer dropped by (saying stuff like "eh, here's 3 more bottles). That was... awesome. I'm still holding one at this very moment. Like I said before, you'd have to be barking mad to pass on free beer.

The first band was pretty good as well, though I didn't get to sit for their complete performance. They played familiar tracks; such as "east of the sun, west of the moon," and some others. The vocalist looked familiar; I must have watched her perform before.

As I was walking to McDonald's to buy something to eat, I see William (of Two Sides to a Story, I think), and Rahul (One Buck Short) promoting the CDs of the musicians performing.

I am satisfied from the show earlier, and I'm going to sleep now.

Addendum: I forgot to add that the spectators really got into the feel of the closing Joget by Mr. Gambus. Asking for an extra song, the little crowd in the front danced joget-ly to the jazzy ending. As quoted/questioned by Ali himself, "Is it appropriate for me to say that the gambus is a very versatile instrument?" He asked that a few times. He had the crowd, though.


Comments:
Hey!! I was there too!! I loved his "Aint No Sunshine when your gone"...And the drummer rocked
 
Post a Comment



<< Home