About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

Temporary Change of Web Log Title!

The sun is shrouded by a thick cloud of haze; not so much as to not be able to see the sun, but enough to affect the bright light source. I believed that it was meant to be a very sunny day, but turned out slightly duller.

I smell something strange; in my room, it is humid, hot, and dark as I sleep away my morning. I wake up, it's that smell again; the smell of haze. My doors are closed, windows shut, fan, and A/C blowing a slightly more humid air. It's dimmer than usual outside; I see why; it's the haze, again.

The sun is reduced to a colour not blinding of which you can only see in photographs: A round dim yellow/orange (I'm colourblind), and the buildings below giving off a transient disposition in that it is hard to make out, and could just be gone tomorrow when the haze thickens

So far, today's the worst from all the other days. Though I don't know why--if the fire is put out--we are still yet to face duller skies. I can't go out. I don't want to either. It's bad enough I smoke, but now it feels like everyone smokes, and I'm now also reduced to feeling like the secondhand smokers that always complain when any one of us light up.

I decide to stay in and wallow in my ambition-lacking self, with A/C struggling to blow out filtered-conditioned air into my room. My nap is disrupted by a phone call; it's my father. He wants to speak to me regarding my current situation (job/career = none). I tell him what I've told my mother. He argues that it's the same whether I work there or here; I beg to differ. I don't take the tone of arguing and pursue a more explanatory voice. I mutter the words "I can go to NZ, if that's what you'd like," only to feel remorse. He doesn't harp about that.

My parents have been patient enough. I think I'm more submissive to any work related to my field of study now. I don't have much expertise in networking, but I guess I'm going to take that job and slowly learn. MAN, LAN, WAN (there are two types of WANs, mind you) all sound interesting. Of course networking isn't my primary choice of field of work, but the ringing sounds of not-knowing-what-is just gently (now roughly) nudges me into trying out different fields.

And so I've delivered my resume to the related people; filled in applications in Jobstreet (all different positions), and am now hoping for some form or reply to my 3rd class honours degree that I feel is not worth the money I thought was invested in it in the first place.

I also had to express to my father how I did not want to go over there and take another 3-year degree so that I could most likely work in that country in the relevant field that I studied, and end up one of the post-graduates there who has to slowly pay the government back for funding his/her education.

So, here I am (the one that you love), sitting down a little frustrated in front of monitor, still contemplating the short term timeframe that I might have given myself before, and whether or not I should cut it down; return to the pangkuan of my family; leave any family I have here behind. I digressed, but back to the haze...

The night is probably just as hazy as the day, only hidden by the darkness that the night brings with it. The lights look different because the air/space around it is clouded with haze. I'm pretty sure some of you out there are sitting at your computers (jobless or not) hoping to whatever God you believe in for a quick raining remedy.

Sympathies go out to all of us who have to eat outside in the open-aired areas. I bet that you have encountered people who thought and expressed their thoughts on the Sumatrans and their irresponsible burning, which causes our anger.
"No, it is not from Sumatra! It's from a pitfire in Cyberjaya..."
This is most hilarious: Watching people correct each other in attempts to bring themselves to a more intellectual-sounding level. I must say that at first I assumed it was the open burning from the deforestation and/or logging.

However, the haze hasn't deterred many people from going to their regular outdoor hangout spots (mamak).

Lets make an analogy of the hazy condition of KL to life. Sometimes things aren't that clear and the path ahead of us isn't as clear as it was before, but we still make our way to the front with a striving quality; a sort of "life goes on" attitude, and at some juncture, we would have no idea what to do because we can't see that far into the path we must take, but knowingly, we all know that the haze will subside once the rain subsides. We will change, we will be cleansed, and we have to and most likely have no choice but to take things up our asses at times in order to fulfill whatever reason it is we live for.

It's a cliche conclusion to this entry, I know. I couldn't resist trying one out. It's been so long; the last time was when I was doing karangan in school. Sebenarnya, kisah ini rupa-rupanya mimpi ngeri kerana terhidu debu. My Bahasa Melayu is as good as my English, and for that I apologise. Hope the rest of the populace had a good day inspite of the circumstances.

I use to many semicolons.


Comments:
I like your new web log title. Very appropriate. And yes, it is amazing that the media did not highlight the fact that the current haze situation was also partly our fault. Just blame it on those irresponsible Indonesians as always.
And it also dumbstrucks me that the media advises the public to not practice open burning what with the haze and all. So, like, one can practice open burning when the skies are blue? Do they mean that it is okay for people to burn away when there's no haze? Hello? I don't get this people...
About the job thingy, it's great that you're open to other fields. It's always good to widen your horizons, Yew Seng. But hang in there. A job will come in no time! Continue looking through jobstreet. I know lotsa people from my university who managed to get jobs from there!!
 
many hard to read, babe. but keep it up anyway! :D
 
What does Lainey meaney?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home