About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

 

Wrong Number Drill

12ish: What's that noise? Who would be drilling at this time? The neighbours must be doing something, although the sound seems to be really, really close.

The drilling continues to stir me out of bed. By intermittent bursts of drilling, I am kept in this constant mode of sleep-wake hell. It's only been two hours since I went into sleep...

3:58PM: The cell phone rings. I love this part.

Ring, ring!
"Hello," as I answer it.
"Siongwai (or something like that)," says ringer.
"What?" I follow.
"Siongwai," and some garble-garbled foreign language was what I got.
"Wrong number." If only he understood me when I said it.
He says the same thing and I hang up in full climax of that situation.

I check my phone and there are three missed calls from an unknown number. I believe it was a/the foreign caller. I can only assume that he was speaking Burmese.

Ring, ring!
Karma beset me for it is him again.
"Hi!"
"Siongwai" His language is half mumble, half Asian.
"English?" I repeat this.
"Siongwai" he says, with more questioning in his tone along with more foreign words.
I laughed for a while, this will take up all my sleep.
After a brief pause into silence, I hear a click, which symbolises the ending of the moment we shared.

4:07PM: The drilling continues as I try my best to trail back to unconsciousness.

Later that day I went into my bathroom for a shower. On my way out I see a new wall-mounted glass shelf fixture next to the sink. I didn't see it on the way in.