About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Saturday, September 03, 2005

 

2 a.m.

That was the time that I left work today. The magazine is finally finished. To those who don't quite know what I am talking about, I spent the whole of last week from Sunday till today working my ass off on the new magazine my company is publishing. The average time I left the office was 11.15pm, including on Merdeka. No thanks to the designer who left on her holiday, but as I explained on a previous post, it wasn't quite her fault.

I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't also have freelance projects to do at the same time. So after I got off work at say, 11pm, and got home by 11.30pm, showered and cleaned myself up by 12am, I have to sit down and start on my freelance work. I ended up sleeping most of the week at 3am.
I did leave earlier on Thursday because I wanted to rest so I could concentrate on work the next day, but I also had to make a sound loop out of a music track for my client. While doing that, I discovered that SoundForge automatically adds a short silence at the beginning and end of the track if you save it as an MP3 so it wouldn't loop seamlessly. I spent many a panicked hour trying to figure out why it was doing that to me. Then I tried saving the file as a WAV, and the problem disappeared. #$&^&#%#$. Ended up sleeping at 3am despite getting home at 10pm that night and starting on the loop at 11pm all because of that.

Now that everything is finally over, I suppose I should be exhilarated and shout and jump for joy right now, but my voice is hoarse and my body too tired. My voice has sort of died since Thursday night when I discovered that my voice has sorta changed. I can barely lift my fingers off the keyboard to type properly now. God knows why I even bother blogging about this now, instead of tomorrow when I am less tired, or even why I still bother to get everything grammatically correct. Must be because I am an anally retentive, paranoid prick of a person. Probably the same reason why I get my work out almost flawlessly every month without complaints from my bosses. Also probably why they love me so much.

I never want to go through this ever again. Going through this experience just makes me wonder, how do people who work in advertising companies that make them work like this all the time cope? Maybe they don't really. Who knows.