About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Saturday, September 10, 2005

 

Cepat!

This is the funniest thing that occurred today when no one was with us: We parked by a park yesterday afternoon and waited around for a friend to return from where she and what she was doing.

"You look like a kidnapper with those shades on," he says to me laughing slightly as we get down simultaneously sharing the humour.
I am not convinced of his silly opinion, but luck would have it that nearby, opposite where we parked was a Malays lady (mother) and her kids (I assume). I decided to put his statement to the test.

I whistle one of those minding-my-own-business tunes (they have no rhythm and sound like random notes), and at that very instant, the mother glances at me--excellent in terms of grace and attention-grabbing--as I shift my sights towards her kid and her. Her kid was playing in front of the house three doors away.

In a nervous-sounding, and almost in despair-ish tone, she calls out to her son, "Faiz, come here cepat!"

We walk off in the other direction smoking, and trying as hard as possible to silence the continuous laughter that whole scene generated.

Later at a distance, inside the park, we are imprisoned in laughter without possibility of parole. We repeat to ourselves,
"Faiz, come here cepat!" while replaying the entire scene from begining to ending.

I cannot believe this: I look like someone that would abduct your children and hold them ransom. Sze Wei was very accurate about what I looked like; a kidnapper.