About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

 

Karma

Think about the last breakup you had. How did you behave? Were you considerate? Impatient? Heartless? I'm ashamed that I've been a heartless initiator of a split. I didn't stop to consider his feelings very well, and I suspected everything he did was an attempt to gain attention. Unfortunately, I also suspect this is all part of the process, except with varying degrees.

Yesterday was a good day. Fun. Kept somewhat busy. No depression. At night, I stayed home. On the PC. Mistake. Out of boredom, I emailed his friend's wife, whom I've met and would like to keep in touch with. She asked how I was, so I mentioned in passing that you-know-who and I broke up. Big mistake.

Somehow, the email got around to him. A little odd, huh? I doubt I would forward a paragraph relating to someone's breakup to his previous partner. I didn't care though. In fact, I almost expected it.

The cold steel of hostility pierced through our (only) connection online with a very accusatory: "What are you hoping to accomplish, writing to my friends?"

I honestly had no idea how to respond. Uh, to stay in contact? What was he thinking? That I would be completely stupid to appeal to his friends for sympathy while knowing that they're his friends and would most likely tell him?? I can't believe how paranoid and arrogant he reacted, making me into a manipulative liar.

Oh yeah, that's the worst part. Indirectly calling me a liar. Twice. Again, it has to do with trust. It's becoming clear that he just cannot accept that I was with someone before him. He resents and has placed me in his mind as an enemy, rather than someone he can trust in, because he just refuses to forgive me. And when you live with the enemy, your hostile side manifests itself. The irony is he believes he's forgiven me. Denial? Liar?

It saddens me he was so prepared to end our friendship. Over what? Heh. So kiddies, there is such a thing as karma. Be nice to the people you break up with, or it will come back to you, plunge its thorny fist up your anus and pull out your guts.