About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Monday, September 26, 2005

 

Making A Tupai Out Of Myself

Upon arriving in town for my supposed job interview at this company, I make my way on the five-foot-way (more like ten foot) in search of lot 81, where the office is situated.

A few shops down, I find it, and there's a small sign stating that the office is on the 3rd floor. I walk up the first floor to find one of those reflexology places, then to the second where it's just another door to another office (I forgot what office it was), which was closed.

I was at the foot of the staircase to the 3rd floor when I notice that there is only a grilled up door at the top of the stairs along with several pieces of deserted furniture in the corridor, as if it were an abandoned floor. I turn around and walk to the other end; actually it was just about 15 feet in the other direction. I see an elevator (how could I have missed that before?) and promptly tekan the up button.

How shameful, afraid of a staircase. "Bing!" and the elevator door opens; I step in. At this point, I already thought this place seedy, but when I stepped into the eerie elevator I half expected an experience involving an apparition.

3rd Floor: I'm here. I sign in at the office, let the person know that I must have misplaced my relevant documents, but actually forgot that I don't have any; fill out the form, ask if there was a photocopier in the vicinity, and then I was off to the corner shop to photocopy my certificates and whatnot.

I took the elevator this time. At the corner photocopiers, I reach into my new clear holder for my documents to realise that I had copies of my certificates all along and that I didn't forget to make more, but just forgot to staple them together. You're an idiot.

Back to the 3rd floor I go in pursuit of my awareness left behind. For some reason, I felt it necessary to let the lady know that I didn't misplace or forget them at all. Pride-saver; that is me. Or something like that for I can't find the words.

A few minutes pass, and I'm in a training room, awaiting a presentation by the head of the company. I thought this was an interview. It was a presentation with slides that read Career Talk (or something like that), with a "Start It Right!" below it.

Two hours pass as the duration proceeded. I have rewrote this post 3 times today due to blogger's fucked up nature. I'm not going to bother anymore. I'll just highlight certain bits.

Speaker/Presenter: We're going to make you into a tupai, and then send you out to look like a skilled person as per demand.

(This is only funny because at one point, he had to explain what head-hunting was, though he used a squirrel analogy and later referred to us as tupai to be delivered to the ones who place the order.)

Speaker/Presenter: Have you heard of Cretina? Hurricane Cretina?

(In my mind: Cretin? Cretina? Hurricane... Katrina. Laughing away in my head, but not in a cruel way.)

The presentation involved a lot of talking on historical facts of the industries in Malaysia, leading up to the history of himself, and then to the history of the company.

After the interview, I left for a stroll along Jalan Bukit Bintang. I've never really been here before, only drove by.