About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Saturday, September 03, 2005

 

Merdeka

I woke up today to the sweet smell of freedom.

Well, not really, but I thought I'd try to be poetic anyway, since I missed Merdeka by two days.

My morning was actually spent groggily at the dentist, which I stupidly made an appointment for at 11am. After last night, I could barely wake up this morning and my aunt sympathetically called them to arrange for a slightly later time at 12pm, so I got an extra hour of sleep. Was still groggy when I was dragged to Jaya Supermarket, which is where my dentist is, and was damn tired after my aunt made me walk up 4 flights of the spiralling staircase after her because she hasn't been there for years and missed walking up that staircase.

The dental visit itself wasn't so bad. Wasn't painful until I looked at the bill. Not getting to spend your parents' money anymore is a bit of a letdown sometimes. Came out with cleaner teeth and in a cheerier mood, since my teeth had been somewhat a bit of a depressing topic for me the past year or so. Realizing that I am not immortal and that some things just cannot be fixed made me actively try to take care of myself as much as possible.

Came home after that and have been on the computer since. Not having anything to do has never felt so great. It's like I truly understand the meaning of freedom now.

Happy belated Merdeka day for me, I guess.