About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Sunday, September 18, 2005

 

Paint me orange

I went for my first paintball experience today at the park (whose name I can't quite remember) at Bukit Jalil with a few friends and guildmates from Guild Wars. There were a total of fourteen of us, though one couldn't play because he was underaged (and pretty good at Counter-Strike too, damn) and another one opted to sit out, so it ended up being a six man team on both sides.

At first, I was really excited over the whole thing. Paintball! How cool, right? Then they made us sign a form which I didn't quite read, but I knew it was one of those if-you-die-while-on-the-field-it-is-not-our-problem forms they make you sign whenever you get silly enough to do anything remotely dangerous that can be sued over by petty people. After that we had to sit through a briefing on how to play properly. Included in this briefing were precautions on what to do in case you get shot in the neck (which is life-threatening enough for you to need to drop onto the ground and put your arm in the air so the marshalls can come over to take you out) or if your helmet falls off (because you can get shot in the eye and be blinded. Or worse still, your head could crack).

After that I was somewhat more subdued (and maybe a little scared). We split the teams and went to our respective bases. That's when we discovered that the area had a LOT of mosquitos. I swatted about four or five as we formed our strategy. Since it was a capture the flag game, I opted to snipe the bottles (we had to snipe the bottles off its perch before we are allowed to capture the flag) because I didn't fancy running a lot while getting shot at. So after we had talked things through, the game began.

Once the marshalls told us to go for it, I ran to the easiest place to snipe the bottles from with another designated sniper. The gun was damn heavy to carry and run at the same time. Plus adding the claustrophobia from wearing the protective helmet, I found it a little hard to breathe (not to mention see). Already the action was heavy with members of the opposing team shooting at us. Their pellets bounced off the metal plating we were hiding behind with a loud 'CLANG'. Every time I wanted to stick my head out I kept praying "GOD, PLEASE LET NO ONE HIT ME ON THE HEAD." I got shot with stray paint, and lifted my hand up in the air while getting up. That's a sign that you're down, and no one is supposed to shoot at you because.....well, there's no point. I was turning around to run back to base when a pellet hit the right side of my head, right above my right ear. SPLAT.

I ran back to base while cursing whichever person who did that to me because god, did headshots hurt! Halfway running back to base I realise I am so out of shape I barely have enough energy to run back to my sniping spot. Thank god no one shot at me while I was limping on the way back, and soon, I was taking shots at people. Awhile later the marshalls sounded the alarm. The opposing team had won the first round.

Back at base, my team compared notes. We all lamented, while half-panting, that we were all too out of shape to play paintball. Sam, the other sniper, showed our team's first battle wound. A tiny red ring, pulsing red, almost bleeding, with a HUGE bruise surrounding that. We all gaped in awe and horror. So that was what it was like to get a direct hit from a paintball pellet! Woah.

We played 3 games in total before we decided we couldn't take it anymore (besides running out of pellets). My team lost. I got shot several times, once in the arm (just like Sam), one RIGHT on my right butt cheek, and one on each leg. I got the very same injury mark Sam did. The rest were smaller bruises. In the same vein, I counted at least seven mosquito bites on one arm, nevermind my arms were covered right up to my elbows. I suppose I was lucky. AJ, another of my teammates, got two pellets in the mouth area. Unluckily for him he was panting at that time so the paint ended up going into his mouth and he accidentally swallowed it. In turn, that wasn't as bad as poor Evan on the opposing team who had to be dragged out by two marshalls because he got shot a few times on the neck and once right on his collarbone.

After the event we just sat around, jokingly shouting "ALL RIGHT, OWN UP!! WHO HIT ME IN X SPOT??", showing off our wounds and taking photographs before we decided to take off ourselves.

Damn, paintball is so fucking cool.

Pictures coming as soon as someone passes them to me.