About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Sunday, October 30, 2005

 

Weaning Helloes

It's Halloween today. I never knew or understood the true meaning behind it; unsurprisingly, being one to have never celebrated it before or ever.

I think I was in New Zealand for a visit the last time Halloween was around. I don't think anyone cares as much there as well.

There was, however, one event when these few little girls from our street came knocking on our door requesting candy. It's not cute at all when you do not wear any costumes.

These little girls were probably below the age of 10 years, and run around outside our house causing sheer agony with their playthings--such as balls and whatnot--to my ball-loving doggy. Once the girls start playing, you will have a hard time catching her (the dog, Chloe).

Once in a while they'd most likely feel bored and throw the ball into our compound, resulting in myself fetching it for them. It was no easy task because this dog of ours is fast and small. I realise that this trails off from the halloween topic, but I thought I'd introduce the neighbourly girls in this fashion.

"Trick or treat?" they said.

"What? Oh!" I had a puzzled what-the-hell expression.

"..." while staring blankly at me, as though I knew what to do.

"Let me check if I have candy, wait"

This is when I use my age-old method of sourcing for things. That's right, I asked my mother.

Somehow or rather, they find their way into our kitchen and stumble upon the pantry. It (me) hands the KitKats to the kids...

This is all I can remember, but I think the dog goes crazy upon their entrance into our home. Dying for attention, she usually jumps any visitor who enters the door.

Thankfully, the houses here don't have doors where you can knock on but a doorbell from outside the gate. By the time the doorbell rings, you would have turned off all the lights and hidden all your candy.