About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Friday, November 18, 2005

 

The call of Cthulhu

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
-- H.P. Lovecraft

Morbid as it may be, this is the most beautiful phrase I have heard (or rather read) lately. I used to read a lot when I was younger, but it was a habit that stopped somewhere in the middle of secondary school. I have never read anything from the more "popular" writers, such as Sidney Sheldon, John Grisham, Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, Ann Rice or Danielle Steel, nor have I read the kind of books that people more intelligent and cultured than I am read such as Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf, Salman Rushdie, Ernest Hemingway, Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, Frederich Nietzche or Freud. So H.P. Lovecraft was new to me, even though I have heard his name mentioned innumberable times, especially about the Cthulhu mythos. So one day, bored at work, I decided to Google up H.P. Lovecraft, and ended up finding an entire library of his work online. I then proceeded to spend entire bored afternoons reading his stories, which though I found creepy wasn't really that scary. Plus it didn't help that he was so goddamn long-winded sometimes, and I nearly fell asleep reading the longer stories, especially The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. However, as is wont to happen to me whenever I read scary or creepy stories, especially THAT many one after another, after I washed myself yesterday night and turned off the light to go to sleep, my mind immediately conjured up images of the weird and monstrous things in his stories, which would have perhaps driven me mad had I not managed to fall asleep.

But I ended up dreaming about them anyway.


Comments:
She does have an A1 for 1119; I got an A2 :p
 
Post a Comment



<< Home