About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Sunday, January 22, 2006

 

Lunch

I have never been very close to my mom. Throughout my life so far she has more or less felt more like a stranger living in the same house than my mom. One of the downsides (of many) of a relationship like that is that we don't know each other very well, food preferences included. So when she mumbled something to me while I was half asleep about offering to buy me lunch since she was going to be at 1 Utama, alarm bells should have rang in my head, but unfortunately I was too tired to realize what was inevitably going to happen.

When I finally woke up and went downstairs, I discovered a Subway sandwich sitting on the dinner table waiting for me. Uh oh.

I sat down and gingeryly unwrapped the sandwich. Red and white coloured sauce oozed out of the sandwich and dripped into a pool on the paper i had just gently peeled off. Great, I thought. I don't like putting tomato sauce on my Subway sandwiches. The mayonnaise is there if I feel like it though.

I took a more detailed inspection of the sandwich. Wheat bread. Not like I care. Stuffing looks like turkey. I like. Then I took a bite and groaned inwardly. The sauce wasn't tomato, it was chilli. And I really don't care much for chilli sauce.

I rolled my eyes. Oh well, I knew it was going to happen. My fault. I took another bite into the sandwich and bit into a pickle. My face wrinkles a bit. I look at the sandwich again. It's full of pickles. Which I don't really mind, but don't like having that much of either. I did a quick check of the sandwich again. At least there were no olives.

A few more bites later, it dawns on me that the sandwich I'm eating tastes a hell lot like a Ramli burger. In fact, it even oozes out sauce like one! I like Ramli burgers, but it would have been really nice if I COULD TASTE THE TURKEY.

I related the lunch to my kid brother when both of us were home later at night. He couldn't stop laughing. Apparently he had told mom to buy me the turkey breast sandwich because it was my favourite, but forgot to tell her what sauce to put on it. So she proceeded to instruct the counter person to dump every imaginable sauce on it, mayonnaise, tomato, chilli....you get the idea. Which was how it turned into the gooey mess I ate. LOL.