About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Thursday, March 16, 2006

 

First day

Today was my first day at a new company. I woke up early, dressed up a little nicer than usual, took a deep breath and drove to my new office in Sunway Mas. Parked my car, got out, look at the floor where my office was, took another deep breath, walked up and rang the doorbell. The director welcomed me in, as she was the only person in at the moment. Cool, I thought, these people come in late too. Hooray! Sat down, turned on the iMac G5 (the pre-Intel model of the one I had at my ex-company) that I was going to be using, and waited for ten whole minutes for it to boot up. The director explained that it had something to do with the office network. So I waited patiently for it to load while flipping through the work that I was supposed to pick up. The bell chimes, and the boss (who's the director's husband) walks in. Looks pretty hip, although he sorta reminds me of a Chinese gangsta. Calls me into his office to brief me about the work I'm supposed to be doing. Asks me what my strengths are. I pause for a long time before telling him that I come from publishing. Maybe was a bad idea, because then he started telling me about what advertising was all about, obviously brushing away the fact that I do come from a design school, y'know, so obviously I know. Doorbell chimes, the designer walks in. Walks into the office to be briefed at the same time that I am. Boss discusses his ideas, which he terms as brilliant and award-winning, IF "you guys can flesh it out nicely". The designer whines about visualizing his work for him. Uh oh. Warning bells go off in my head. Briefing finishes, we walk back to our seat, doorbell chimes again, the accounts executive walks in, along with her five month old Persian cat, Ashley. She (the cat) fidgets around, jumps on top of the shelves and knocks things off, and squeezes into tight crevices for no apparent reason. The other designer is afraid of her. I think she's (the cat) cute. I go online to look for images to use. The internet was freaking slow. Time ticks by. 3 o'clock comes around before I decide that I'm hungry enough to find something to eat. What's good to eat around here? I ask, although what I really wanted to say was "don't you guys eat??!". Oh, we usually tapau our food, the AE tells me. We used to go out to eat, but there's really only four of us, and the office is more comfortable, anyway. Not to mention that it's very hot outside. I want to smash my head on the wall. Instead, I went to the bakery nearby to buy myself some food. Walked back to the office, sat down and ate my food. A wave of panic strikes me. Dear God, am I going to spend the rest of my days like this? I look around the walls in fear, like a captured rodent trying to claw its way out of its cage. The minutes tick past. My back is starting to hurt because I'm not used to the chair. I think about my previous company and sink into depression. I feel completely lost and directionless. And in the same breath, I make up my mind to quit and find somewhere else to work in.

Now all I need is a perfectly valid excuse for quitting after a few days.


Comments:
come back. you know you want to.

i think.
 
I may regret joining this company, but that doesn't mean I regret leaving :p

Well, ok, I do, but only because I miss the company. I don't particularly miss the job :D
 
Haha. Interesting. What are the hours and breaks?
 
Which one, the place I'm in now or my old company? Well, actually, both are 10 to 7 jobs, Monday to Friday, with the occasional unpaid overtime. The only difference is that lunch break is the usual one hour, but in my old company everyone eats for 15 mins, gets impatient, then goes back to the office while over here no one wants to even step out for lunch, so they tapau. That, and in my old company parking was paid for, but then again over here parking is free.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home