About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Friday, March 10, 2006

 

Mirrormask

My afternoon at work today was productively spent watching Mirrormask with my co-conspirator, Phui Mun. We were both left gaping in awe of Dave McKean's vision in bringing his and Neil Gaiman's work to life on screen (of course, we were also awed by how fabulous it is to play a widescreen format movie on our new Intel iMacs). He succeeded so well in bringing his surrealistic artwork to life without it looking "out of place", no matter how odd that may sound. How surreal is the movie, you ask?

That surreal.
This one in particular reminded me of Salvadore Dali.

The movie was a visual feast from start to finish. In fact, it is so awesomely awesome that I am left with no other words to describe it :p Phui Mun said that it reminded her of Hayao Miyazaki's work, except filmed in live action. Storyline wise, it was wonderful to see a Neil Gaiman story fleshed out so well onscreen. It's like watching the book come to life, which is fantastic for people who absolutely adore Neil Gaiman. If you're not particularly keen on him, however, then I guess this is not the movie for you.

Highly recommended for the artistically/Neil Gaiman-inclined. I am now left with a craving to buy the original DVD set (hopefully with a lot of nice artsy-fartsy stuff included) and a major crush on Valentine. Sigh.


Comments:
Great minds live in the same gutter ! :D

Apart from the gorgeous movie I'm HAPPY that we got away NOT doing anything at all in the office for the entire afternoon HAHA ( watching the movie on the beautiful beautiful widescreen is MUCH love :P ). And yes, Valentine is absolutely a-dork-able XDD
 
I saw it over Christmas when I was in Penang. Very surreal, and very very well done. I never read the book but I knew that if I had, I would have thought that the movie did it justice in bringing the visualisation to life. =)
 
From what I've heard, I think it was a screenplay before a movie. Not sure if there is a book, but what I meant was that it plays out like one of his books :)
 
Pretty sure there was a book. Hmm...
 
I think there is a book. But I'm confused as to whether the book came before the movie or the movie came before the book, since I don't exactly keep up with this sort of thing. All I heard about it was that it was a screenplay first.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home