About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

Memories

Working in a company where your direct boss is an ex-collegemate has been a rather strange experience. When moving on from an experience, I tend to really move on, whether by accident or by my own design, and stepping out of publishing and into this particular advertising agency has felt like one step forward and another one backward. Well, okay, maybe after being blindfolded and spun around. I'm in a completely different environment, yet some things are eerily familiar. It has certainly brought back memories of college, although not without some amount of confusion.

I had a lot of fond memories about college. Like how I used to sit down by the side of entrance, alone or otherwise, to wait for friends because it was cold inside, or how we'd roast our hands on the metal bar further out to warm ourselves up after being stuck for three hours in a freezing cold classroom. Grabbing Gary's arm because his arms were warm all the time, which was like a godsend to me and the other girls (I know what you're thinking, but this particular friend of mine is gay). Sneaking off classes to play pool. Playing LAN Diablo 2, Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege at the nearby cybercafe in between classes. Browsing through pirated games and VCDs at the stalls which open around noon near the cafes and mamaks. Running through all the empty classrooms at the end of the semester to see other students' works. Sitting at the atrium and talking about utter crap before classes start. Bitching about our work and our lecturers. Still writing my thesis at 6am when I had to hand it up at 9am. Being asked a crapload of times if I was lesbian in the first semester. Or if I was from mainland China or Taiwan. Having a friend point out to me that a huge portrait of me posing in a "child abuse" manner was facing the door straight into the photography lecturer's room, so everyone who walked in would see it. Being forced to pose for a hearing-impaired student's studio photography work simply because I didn't know how to say no.

Then there are the memories I want to erase away, like how I want to knock myself into a concussion everytime a presentation goes very badly, or when I say something and use the wrong word, making it completely hillarious to everyone else present.

And well, there are the ones that Z asked about. Who taught you in class? How did you do for your thesis? Who was your favourite lecturer? Which was your favourite period in Art History? And my mind goes completely blank. I can still name a few of my ex-lecturers, but it seems like I can no longer remember all of them. As for my favourite.....who? I probably had one, but strangely, I can't recall. I no longer remember my grades either, not even for a subject I loved. As for Art History.....I loved art noveau, surrealism, romanticism....but I'm quite sure that there were more, especially in the later eras. And just as I loved the social aspects of college, so do I love my classes and what they taught.

So why can't I remember any of it?


Comments:
i forget alot of things too. I can't say I have had fond memories of taylors or inti but for the life of me, i can't seem to remember anything really save for a few memories of going out to eat. funny how memories of food always stick in my head.
 
Human brain is a strange strange thing indeed. But isn't it good enough that you remembered that you DO love college life to begin with ? :)
 
Hmm, I suppose so. Although to be honest, everything feels very distant to me right now. Like the things I can remember, I remember being happy, sad, etc, but I don't really feel anything when recalling it. I just remember what it felt like. Almost like looking at someone else's memory play out on screen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home