About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 

The long road ahead

I think I may have screwed up the interview I really really wanted to get.

Everything was more or less going on okay until he asked if I had a favourite designer. Which I didn't. Then he asked if I had kept up with international works and what other designers were doing. Which I haven't (even though I know I should). He more or less chided me nicely about how I should keep up with what other designers were doing to keep myself fresh and to get inspirations from my work....and I think it went downhill from there T__T

Siiiigh. To be honest, sometimes I do wonder where my passion for the arts have gone. When was the last time I surfed the net for interesting ideas? The last time I bought a design book? The last time I sat down in Kinokuniya to browse through their art books? The last time I bought a design magazine?

In short, wtf is up with me? Why aren't I keeping up with the design world anymore? Am I getting complacent? Or am I seriously losing grip on the reason why I'm in this industry?

Siiiiigh. In any case, I should have prepared myself. But I guess I should have seen this coming my way. I can't keep chanting "I love design, this is what I want to do" over and over again without keeping up with what the rest of the world is doing. There is no excuse for complacency.

I guess there's a looooong road ahead of me, and I had better play catch up soon or risk losing my sense of design identity.


Comments:
DD:

You know I think I'll join you in the sighing. I'll definitely be stumped like nobody's business as well if I'm asked the same question T___T
 
Yeah, but I could have at least worked "no, but I LOVE Japanese minimalist design" into the answer or something, you know, instead of just going "errrrr, no" *bangs head on wall*

Sigh. Ok, lesson learnt.
 
It's funny really, I can like a certain artist or even a photograher's style but ... no name a fave. designer? Design is so diverse and just how am I going to name one?

I should try to remember the designers names from now on too XD;;
 
What I don't like about this is that it looks like the company's assumption of high quality has to be inspired from international works. I guess I can figure out fully now why there is little to none of originality in Malaysia. It's not just in the education.

But yeah, I agree on keeping tabs generally on things at the international level is a must. So, the chance of landing the job looks quite low. :/
 
Eh, it completely IS in the education. Our education system doesn't exactly inspire creativity, and to be honest, our local design scene can best be described as "still developing". Look at Japan, for instance - they have such a strong design identity. What do we have? Crap. Which is why it doesn't really do any good to only look locally - I'd rather look to the international design industry and see how I can apply it locally to make my design work.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home