About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Thursday, January 11, 2007

 

4D number, anyone?

Tuesday marked the very first time that I've done press checking for a project. I was understandably nervous as I only had a vague idea of what to do - check the colour, registration, and watch out for hickeys, that's all to it, right? All I need to do is to haul myself over to the printer in Cheras, check everything, then go home. Easy, won't be too difficult to pick up.

Of course, my boss failed to mention to me just how long press checks can take.

I arrived at the printer's at about 9.30am. Before that, my boss called to inform me that they got the page order wrong and had to output the plate again, which I thought wouldn't be a problem. I suppose I should have known that something wasn't quite right somewhere when she told me to have fun. And then when I arrived, my contact ushered me to her office and invited me to sit down, have a drink and read some magazines. Then she called the production crew and asked if they've started printing it out yet. Not yet? Ok, she told me, what would you like to have for lunch later? (Lunch? I'm staying till lunch??)

It was about 11am before the production crew called and informed us that we could drop by to look at the first print, as they just finished getting the registration right. Meanwhile I had been busy making small talk with my contact and flipping through magazines. Anyway, so I took a look at the print and the colour needs adjusting. Two prints later, the colour matches the colour proof. I give the ok, and we start checking for hickeys. About two hours later, we were FINALLY done checking, and it goes out to print. My contact then suggest that we go out for lunch since they will take some time to print out the entire batch before they start working on the other side.

After lunch, my contact had to run out to meet more clients, so I ended up camping in the office again. By 4pm I had finished reading the pile of magazines she had handed me, and by 4.30pm I was so bored I went down to the production house just to take a look at what they were doing. At 7pm, 2 plate changes, 4 colour readjustments and about 3 hickey checks later, I was ready to collapse from exhaustion/boredom, but then my contact came back and reassured me that she'll take care of the hickeys for me so that I could go home. Relieved, I ran outside, whipped out my phone to call someone, and the most unbelievable thing happened.

*SPLAT* Water landed on my phone. Except on closer inspection, the "water" looks suspiciously like birdshit.

WTF??! I thought and quickly looked skywards. No bird to be found. EWWWWWWWW was my next reaction as I quickly wiped it off with tissue paper.

Back home, I complained to my aunt about my luck, especially the part about the birdshit.

"Really?" she said. "Things like that don't happen everyday. Buy 4D sure strike wan."

"WOIIII how can you make money out of my misfortune??!" I protest. "....I want 50% if you win."

Well, hey, if life gives you a lemon, make lemonade?