About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Friday, January 26, 2007

 

Little people

I remember this instance many months ago at my ex-publishing firm when we went out to a crab restaurant to celebrate a colleague's birthday. The editor-in-chief had brought along his wife and adorable three (four?) year old daughter. Three of my colleagues who came along were girls (women?) around my age. Along with me, we had not much experience dealing with kids and it must have been pretty obvious, because the editor told us later that his wife had commented that the four of us had looked at his daughter as if she was an alien from outer space. Well, ok, that wasn't her exact words, but you get what I mean.

Her observation rings true, if not for my colleagues, then for me. I have always been uncomfortable with what a friend christens "little people". So when the door opened late this evening and my boss' two little kids came running in looking for their mother, I was a little unsure of what to do. Ok fine, more than a little unsure. I was sitting at my desk finishing my work for the day when her seven year old daughter ran up to me and led to this little conversation:

Precocious little girl: (in adorable voice) Hello!
Me: ....*squirm, followed by awkward smile*
Little girl: *smiles back* What's your name?
Me: Uh....Boon Ying.
Little girl: Oh. Hello aunty Boon Ying!
Me (in my head): AUNTY???!!! @.@ *HEADDESK*

And some time ago I was taken back when people mistook me for being an eighteen year old kid when I was already at a ripe old age of twenty five. Now I'm not sure which is worse.


Comments:
Do not! Little people are scary :p
 
Post a Comment



<< Home