About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Friday, February 09, 2007

 

Back to basics

Games have been a part of my life for about as long as I can remember. My siblings & I were lucky to be blessed with many consoles and computer upgrades during our childhood, ranging from the early EGA computers and NES to the newer Pentium machines and Playstation console. Since electronic devices have always been left up to my elder brother, who knew a lot more than I ever did about them, I was never picky about which console I preferred or whether I preferred console gaming or computer gaming, because to me I had all that I needed right there.

And then, of course, my brother left for studies overseas. Which left all the game-buying and computer upgrading up to me, the sheltered little girl who never made any decisions because she never had to. Well, ok, so I exaggerated. But I did learn a lot more about the machines that I was using to play my beloved games, and through that learning process I started developing hardware preferences. Intel over AMD. GeForce over Radeon. And of course, Sony (Playstation) over Microsoft (Xbox)/Nintendo/SEGA.

Although my early childhood was spent on the Nintendo and SEGA consoles, the arrival of Sony's Playstation had changed everything. Through the Playstation and Playstation 2, I have never owned another console by a rival. Xbox? Pfft. Gamecube? Pfft. SEGA? RIP. Even when the new handheld consoles, the Nintendo DS and PSP were announced, I did not need to question where my allegiance lay - with the PSP. I couldn't afford one, of course, but incidentally my dad bought one, and I bought the Katamari Damacy game for it, and I was happy.

And then something strange happened. A single lone voice called out to me from the darkness...




...and I fell in love. Well, how could I not fall in love? Look at the cavity inducing website. SO ADORABLE. And then I found out that they remade Final Fantasy 3 for the Nintendo DS. GASP. And they re-released Final Fantasy 6 Advance for the GBA (which you can play with the DS). DOUBLE GASP.

So yeah, I guess I'll be getting one of these:



$. Goddammit. Then again, I miss Mario Kart very much. And Bomberman. And a bunch of other classic Nintendo games. So I guess it'll be worth the plunge.


Comments:
Gasp! But what about Flight Vol 1 & 2? With all those gadgets does that leave no room for those desirable tomes??

/fan
 
xeos: Really? Was planning on buying one from the Nintendo counter at MidValley. If you can get me a good price then that'll be great, I guess. But not yet la, not planning on splurging till April or so....if I can wait, that is.

elliot: UHMMM, I'll eventually get around to buying them?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home