About Me

Contributors

Friends

Links

Archive

Other

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

 

Beware the Lvl 99 Death Stare

***WARNING: POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK***

When I first saw the trailer for Ghost Rider, I had prayed that the movie would be at least decent. Unfortunately, if you've checked Rotten Tomatoes lately, you'll see that it got panned by critics. Which is predictable considering the man directed Daredevil, for god's sake. Anyway, I went to watch the movie last night. It wasn't SO bad. After all, I didn't start laughing until I left the cinema.

I'm no big fan of Nicholas Cage, but I thought he made a pretty decent Ghost Rider. The movie plodded along at a pretty decent pace too, with the necessary background details, love interest, etc, unravelling as expected.

And then he turned into Ghost Rider and the movie literally went to hell.

Sure, the bike was pretty cool, and the flaming CGI? Pretty hot. Ghost Rider himself seemed ok (to me, anyway, I'm haven't really read much of the comics so it's not like I have the right to complain), right up to the point where he started moving. He moved like a ROBOT (hello, Robocop?). You'd think that skeletons would have more joints. It's as if the people in charge of CGI got lazy and decided to animate him with a grand total of FIVE joints, two for his arms, two for his legs, and his head.

Also worthy of mention is how Ghost Rider reminds me of an action figure. Imagine for instance, you had an action figure as a kid (the kind with a button or flip of sorts at the back which allows the action figure to do something):

*press button 1* GRRAWWRRR!!!!
*press button 2* Ha Ha Ha Ha (lame evil cackle)
*press button 3* Swings chain around body
*press button 4* Points finger at you, before saying "YOU!!!!....GUILTY"
*press button 5* Grabs you and says "STARE INTO MY EYES AND FEEL THE PAIN YOU HAVE UNLEASHED UNTO INNOCENTS" or something like that, before unleashing his Lvl. 99 Death Stare, dealing 9,999,999 damage unto evildoers.

Sigh.

Surprisingly though, for all that Ghost Rider could have been, I did learn something new at the end of the movie. Ghost Rider took out the main four villains (who incidentally looked like extras off the set of The Matrix) over a span of three days - one each on the first two days, then the last two on the third, which is pretty well planned out, if you ask me. I guess a villain a day keeps the doctor away, and even bounty hunters from hell have a quota to make. Gasp, who knew?